Today, the topic of my weekly call with Jeff McAffer, Eclipse PMC and Equinox/RCP Lead, was 3.3 planning.
When planning for a release, we like to have high-impact items that are also fun to work on.
Here are some general ideas/themes that came up today in the very first session of PDE 3.3 planning.
In no particular order:
1. PDE having a broader mandate. Think beyond plug-ins. Think components.
2. Extreme Self-Hosting: Implement a Remote Agent that controls a running Eclipse/OSGi application. Test the dynamic behaviour of your plug-in and product. Update manifest files and see changes in the runtime workbench without restarting,...
3. Plug-in Dependency Visualization
4. OSGi/Runtime tooling, e.g. declarative services, new application model, and every etcetera in between.
5. Update Manager Tooling
6. User Assistance authoring tools (e.g. cheatsheets, context-sensitive help, tables of contents, ...)
I am soliciting opinions on this list.
How would you rate/prioritize this list?
Which item is your favourite?
Is there an item missing from the list that you would like to see addressed in 3.3?
If you have input on the subject matter, please send me an email.
My email address is wassimm at ca dot ibm dot com